Saturday, December 1, 2012

Tuned In

I was in a store yesterday on a mission for something very specific and ordinary.  I had a very small time slot in which to get said item and was in a terrible rush, not exactly a spiritual moment for me.  But suddenly, I became very aware of the song being pumped through the speaker system. 

Born to raise the sons of earth, born to give them second birth.  Distinct and clear the vocals were singing in a large secular department store.  Light and life to all He brings, risen with healing in His wings.   And right there in the midst of commercialized everything, from santa to snowmen, from crackers to candy, my heart was tuned heavenward and I lingered to hear the rest of that song. 

For starters I was shocked that a store of that nature would be playing such a song.  It really caught my attention.  So too, I was overjoyed that the gospel message was being proclaimed so strong and clear.  My thoughts jumped with longing to the day when "the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." (Hab. 2:14) I cannot wait for that day!

Last of all, that song is one of my favorites because of the words.  Mild He lays His glory by, born that man no more may die. . . no more may die. . . no more may die.   No wonder the angels sang with such fervor!  What a message they had for mankind.  What good news!   It was ten years ago today that my mom passed away.  It was then that this song was really brought to life for me.  Often the tears come not for sadness, but for wonder, to think that she now lives in the very presence of God!  Wow!  I can scarcely fathom such an awesome experience.  I know that she sings still.  

Sometimes worship does not flow in the everyday because I'm waiting for the mood to be just right, or trying to create the right setting.  But worship is not about warm feelings or intensity, only about being tuned in to heaven.  As we go about our way we don't have to let the commercial setting keep us from contented joy in worship.  If we are tuned into the frequency of the throne room, our hearts can always be lifted upward, no matter what might be going on around us. 

Veiled in flesh the Godhead see, hail the incarnate Deity, pleased as man with men to dwell, Jesus our Emmanuel. . . God. With. UsChristmas was my mom's favorite, and as I remember her today I can't think of a better way than to join the throng in heaven singing, "to Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"  (Rev. 5:13)

(Hark! The Herald Angels Sing by Charles Wesley)

No comments:

Post a Comment