Tuesday, December 25, 2012

What's In A Gift (Part 2)

'On a Christmas morning . . . the angels sing for joy!'  I remember my mom singing that little tune when I was a child.  But why so much joy?

Because of the gift.

I'm so glad God held nothing back when He sent His Son,
Glad He did not give leftovers, something He didn't want.
Glad He did not give from a distance,
That He was willing to be like a 'fish out of water', and get inside human flesh,
            Limit Himself to dependency . . . helplessness . . . foreign territory.

I'm so glad He was willing to know me, to come close and see exactly what gift would suit,
Glad He went to the trouble, energy, and effort.
Glad He was willing to pay even more than silver or gold,
            The precious blood of Christ.
That He touched my filth, got His hands dirty, and became intimately involved in my life.

I'm so glad that He took such a great risk, that He gave, knowing I might reject, despise. 
Glad His gift never disappoints,
Glad that He gave not only what I need, but also what I deeply desire, 
          God with me, near me, for me . . . Emmanuel.
That He wrapped His gift so carefully, in the womb of the pure,
         so simply . . . humble. . . in strips of cloth set in straw.  




What's in The Gift?




Everything good.  Extravagant love extended to the greatest measure.

"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!"  2 Cor. 9:15




Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment