Monday, October 7, 2013

Pass Interference

There was a time when football made no sense to me.  However, now that I understand the game, I can scarcely get enough of it.


Yet, one thing baffles me . . . the pass interference.  Why on earth would a player do such a stupid thing?  For college ball it is a maximum 15 yard penalty.  Automatic first down.  For the pros, it is even steeper.  The play begins at the spot of the foul, sometimes a 30 or more yard gain for the opposing team.  But it still happens.







However, I'm learning that I often do the same in life, especially in what I say.  I will be working hard at the game plan God has set before me, when suddenly I do a pass interference, almost without thinking.  I get distracted from what I'm pursuing to interrupt another person's game.  I meddle in their business.  Why, pray tell, would I do such a stupid thing?

The reason is the same for both football and life.  Our natural tendency takes over and we simply react with instinct, otherwise known as our sin nature.  

Just as it takes great restraint for the football defender to play fair by the rules, so in life, it takes a conscious effort not to jump in and tackle battles which beg response.

Furthermore, when I commit a pass interference, it totally derails me.  I lose focus on what God wants me doing, and instead, get wrapped up in a squabble or cause which is better left alone.

The penalty is the sin of omission.  The interference keeps me from accomplishing the goal.


I'm learning that I don't have to respond to everything that comes across my path, even if it seems others are winning or I think I have answers that would trump their arguments.  I don't have to defend myself, my convictions, my values, my country, or even my God.  Instead, I can let it go.   For, it is enough that Jesus died and that He died for me.  His grace is sufficient.   I know the truth and that truth sets me free. (John 8:32)

As my eyes, heart, and will are set on the path God has laid out for me, I hope to arrive at the end hearing the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant."  (Matt. 25:23)


However, if I am beating the wrong path, even a good one, I will certainly miss my own.

Therefore, no more pass interference. 



No comments:

Post a Comment