Monday, October 21, 2013

I Wonder

I had an experience at the start of this weekend that got me thinking about guardian angels. 

Friday morning I did not feel well, and so after getting my girls to school, I took some medication for my head and tried to sleep.  I was awakened by what sounded like shattering glass.  I thought someone had dropped a pile of dishes in the kitchen.  But being half asleep, I decided to wait and deal with it when I got up.   

A few hours later I awoke, and saw there was a smashed car across the street in my neighbor's yard.  It had careened out of control and at 40 mph hit the light post, knocking it over, and then hit a tree which stopped the car. 

Later, my husband told me the rest of the story. 

My neighbors had called 911, but were afraid.  They did not know what to do with the man in the car.  (This was before the emergency crew arrived).  To their relief, my husband was willing to check the man's vitals.  He was dead, but had a Bible in his lap. 

We are fairly certain, and police reports confirm, that he died prior to the accident.  It was only his car that was still moving down the street. 

Later, when I thought on the events of the day, several things came to mind.  I was grateful the car did not hit my house.  I was sleeping in the room closest to the street.  It could have been so much worse.  God's divine protection. 

Likewise, I was relieved it did not hit anyone else's house, but that it ran into a large, solid tree.  God's mercy.  His angels watching over us.  

Furthermore, I consider it a 'God thing' that my husband was home when it happened.  He was able to step in for my neighbors and be okay with handling a dead body.  God's divine purpose and perhaps a ministry opportunity. 

There are no accidents with God.  All went according to His plan. 

I have to wonder what my neighbors directly across from the accident are now thinking?  They have their yard decorated with tomb stones and Dracula creature heads popping out of the ground, skeletons and cobwebs, complete with emergency tape wrapped around their trees.  Creepy stuff. 

The police had wrapped emergency tape around the tree that the car hit . . . for reals.  Someone really did die there and our street was blocked off with barricades for three blocks.  It was not make believe, but reality.   I wonder if God was seeking our attention?  And I wonder if the car was drawn to that corner and that house because of the celebration of death next door? 

I'm probably reading far more into it, than is there.  But at the same time, feel God is always seeking to draw our attention upward, towards Him.  He longs for all to know Him and that none should perish.  Sometimes, events in our lives occur in order to grab our attention. 

I have to wonder, "Is this a preparing of hearts to speak of eternal realities?"  We've had a lot of contact with our neighbors lately, (besides this event), and I sense God is moving.  I believe there is a reason we live in this neighborhood and I don't want to miss it. 

And just maybe, I've got you thinking as well? 

"For God so loved the world, 
that He gave His one and only Son,
that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish, 
but have eternal life."
John 3:16









No comments:

Post a Comment