Friday, October 18, 2013

Agates

In my basement is a little tin box full of rocks.  They are anything but ordinary as they shimmer and sparkle in the sun.  But what makes them truly unique is that as a small child, I collected them from the Nehalem River, near where I grew up.

I'm still collecting rocks, but of a different nature.  They are more like stones in David's sling, experiences with God, reminders of victories past, which give me courage for the present.


Some of those agates I've written of here.  I've seen the dead raised to life, seen God's strength perfected in my weakness, seen His grace sufficient in deepest sorrow, seen Him remove stubborn roots of bitterness, and seen Him turn what was meant for evil into good.  Yet, these stones, though showy, even beautiful, do not truly fill me.


Some would say my little tin box of rocks is full.  But really, it isn't.  There are spaces here and there . . . gaps, which simply cannot be filled by rigid stones.  I need the flow of Living Water to fill me.

Likewise, we cannot rely on sensational moments of our past to fill us up.  Only daily communion with our Heavenly Father is sufficient to do so. (Psa. 104:27-28)

Sometimes we still go rock hunting, searching for experiences or spiritual highs.  But most, okay, all, of my victory experiences have come about by seeking the Living Water, not the shimmering agates. (John 4:14)


God still speaks to us today, but primarily through His Word . . . the plain Word of God.  (Heb. 1:1-2)  Why do we so quickly turn to man's writings or experience before simply sitting at the feet of Jesus?

Those who are truly born again by the Spirit of God are indwelt by Him.  And it is the Spirit, through the Word, who reveals Jesus to us. With this truth, we can come before Him in confidence. (See John 3:5-6; 16:13-14; Rom. 8:11; Heb. 4:16)


I once thought I could discover Jesus through really hard study.  We are, indeed, commanded to study the Word for right interpretation.  Certainly, the best commentary on the Word is the Word itself.  (2 Tim. 2:15)  All other helps need to be treated as accessories, not the main course.  Yet, we cannot forget that God is not discovered, He is revealed.  (1 Cor. 2:9-15)

God provided manna for the children of Israel during all their travels in the desert wilderness.  But they began to complain, "We remember...the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic [of Egypt].  We are tired of this same manna, day after day." (Num. 11:5-6)  And God's heart was offended.  For in rejecting the manna they rejected God Himself.  (Num. 11:10; John 6:47-51)

How many times have I wounded God's heart by looking to other sources for my daily bread, my living water, which fills my empty spaces?

My husband thinks it ludicrous that every time we move, that little box of rocks moves with us.  But I insist, because they are sentimental.  Likewise, the victories God gives are important reminders to take with us.  However, these experiences must stay in the basement.  We cannot set them up as idols.  (I John 5:21)

The past, though treasured, is not what I lean on today.  I look only to Jesus, my living water and life sustaining manna.   He is all I need.  (Isa. 58:11)


  [Jesus] sighed deeply and said, 
"Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign?  
I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it."  Mark 8:12
 

No comments:

Post a Comment