Saturday, November 8, 2014

Witness of the Stars

It was an ordinary day when I found out I would be taking a journey across the country.  Unplanned and sudden, I have to wonder if there might be a deeper reason for it all.  Yet, I am confident this plan is not a surprise to God. 

Recently, I spent a night camping outside under the stars.  I was reminded of Abraham, who went, without knowing where, and of God's promise to give him as many descendants as the stars in the sky, to bless him and to make him a blessing.   

Since taking a class on the constellations, I no longer look at the big dipper as a soup ladle, but rather a sheep fold, the handle representing sheep walking into a pen.  And I think of God and His ability to preserve His people Israel.  When I study their history as a nation, it is baffling that they still exist at all, and yet they are prominent in our current news reports worldwide. 

However, on the other side of the sky there is another constellation, the little dipper.  It too represents a sheep fold and sheep brought into safety.  As I think of believers in Christ, the church, I sometimes forget the big picture.  It seems like the church should be the big dipper, but no, we are only represented by the small.  In the grand scheme of God's plan, we are not so numerous as His people Israel.  Somehow, the little dipper seems mysterious, lesser known, like the church, set apart uniquely for this age.   

All this to say, how amazing that God cares to even know my name, let alone orchestrate the movement of my life.  How wonderful that He considers my frame and guides my steps.  Oh, if only I could truly grasp the depth of His goodness!  He is greater than my comprehension, yet more personal than words can say.   He stoops down to hear my cry, and holds me close to His heart. 

Living in town, I rarely see the stars in their full radiance, but I don't want to miss any of the wonders of God's creation, for "night after night they pour forth speech".  (Psa. 19:2)   All I can say is, "Wow!  Just wow!"  Who is like our God?  No one even comes close.  He can be trusted.  The God who scattered the stars across the sky and knows them each by name, is always at my side. 

"The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display His craftsmanship. 
Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make Him known.
They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.
Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world."  
Psa. 19:1-4  (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment