Friday, October 31, 2014

Eyes Wide Open

How can it be?  I think I know myself, but really, I am blind.  I wash the outside, polish the surface, and put on an impressive front,


                                                                                    but inside my heart is full of slimy gunk. 

















Who can deliver me from this dilemma?  I try to have an honest heart, but it turns out, I'm not even nice.

Though the carving tools are frightening, I cry out for them, because my heart is so desperate to be free of this muck.  My heart longs for freedom from myself. 


As members of the family of God, "Jesus is not ashamed to call us brothers." [sisters]  He claims us as His own.  How can it be, that "both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family"?  It is all because Jesus was willing to identify with us, enduring the cross, to secure our inward cleansing.  He even "shared in our humanity so that by his death, he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil."  (Heb. 2:11-14)


Since Jesus Himself suffered, should not I?  Gratefulness, humility, selflessness, gentleness, and restraint, are some of the carving tools required to rid the yuck from my life.  Yet, in and of myself, I lack the power to implement these tools.  I need the blood of Jesus to cleanse my heart and God's Holy Spirit to take hold of the knife, carving His image on my soul. 

Jesus, be the center, be my source, be my light.  Without Him, there is only darkness, for "all my righteousness is as filthy rags." (Isa. 64:6) But with Him, darkness is dispelled.


I want my eyes wide open, so I can see the cuts with God's perspective, that they are only windows for His light to shine through.   


This transformation that occurs is miraculous.  How can it be?  Babies, though cute, wallow in immaturity, but everyone knows babies are not expected to stay that way. 



They grow up into beautiful sons and daughters. 



For this reason, "I put childish ways behind me," for I want the beauty of Christ to rest upon me, radiant with His likeness.  (1 Cor. 13:11) 

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."  (1 Cor.13:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment