Friday, November 22, 2013

Plans

"We're not plannin' it, we're just doin' it!" is one of my favorite quotes from a movie I enjoy watching.  While the main character frets about schedule, his new-found friends let time slide.  Ironically, the relaxed friends make the desired rendezvous which is missed by the uptight character.

It is true that if we aim at nothing we will hit nothing.  Plans are good.  But when planning becomes so tight that we are wound up like a toy, forcing our feet and family to move with the rhythm, all joy is lost. 

Recently, my husband and I went for a spontaneous night walk in the rain.  It was beautiful.  Soggy leaves underfoot with the stillness of night settling in, added to the warmth of glowing windows.  It was not something we planned.  It just seemed like a good idea.

As we enter the holiday season, I'm making a point of savoring the moments.  There was a day when I let December become a whirlwind of people pleasing and expectation.  It was all I could do to keep up.   By January I was a frazzled mess.

This week, I received a jury summons for the busiest time of the year.  At first I complained, but then caught myself.  I remembered the lesson I learned before about grumbling.  Instead, I kept with the mantra, "we're not plannin' it, we're just doin' it."  I could let it ruin my day, or I could just go with the flow. 

With tight plans come expectations.  When those are not met, we become flustered and irritated.  Flexibility is such a noble quality when it comes to this season.  Kids get sick, jury duty happens, and schedules conflict.  If we can take it in stride, breathe deep, and let it go, we will be happier people. 

And maybe, just maybe, we will be held in wonder at what the season is about.  Perhaps the old old story will deepen, refresh, and transform our lives as it was truly meant to do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment