Thursday, November 7, 2013

Laughter

I am fascinated with the life of Abraham.  Oh, I know, he is such a familiar character in the Bible that we often brush him off with, "been there, done that."  But every time I study his life I am drawn deeper into the wonder of my God.  Wow!  Just wow.

Last night I was doing some artwork to aid in teaching children at our Bible club today.  This type of activity is very therapudic for me.  Plus, I had turned the dial to a Christian radio station, (KJOL), where I love listening to the worship hour.  A few pumpkin spice candles added to the soothing effect.

My youngest daughter, of her own ambition, came and joined me with her drawing.  I was so engrossed in what I was doing that I didn't notice her handiwork until this morning.  Here is what she drew.















'Lord of my laughter' caught my attention because I had recently read of Abraham and Sarah's laughter at the birth of their son Isaac.  What joy to at last see the fulfillment of God's promise!


Yet, this morning I arrived at Genesis 23, where I learned that God is the 'Lord of my sorrow' as well.


Abraham has already gone through a huge test regarding the promise of descendants.  He was to offer up his son Isaac to the Lord, thus destroying the very one through whom he would receive grandchildren, greats, and great greats. . . as many as the stars in the sky.

At precisely the right time, God stopped Abraham, protecting his son Isaac from death.  Abraham had passed the test with flying colors, being swift to obey.  (Gen. 22:12)

Yet, God did not leave the sacrifice undone.  He provided a substitute, a ram caught in the thicket by its horns.  (Gen. 22:13)

Oh the picture of this story!  Jesus, becoming our substitute, bearing the crown of thorns on His head . . . the curse of the ground, for "thorns and thistles it will bear for you."  (Gen. 3:17-19) 

And just as Isaac carried wood for the sacrifice up Mt. Moriah, so Jesus bore the cross up a hill for His ultimate sacrifice for sin.

As Abraham held the knife and the fire, so in the offering of Jesus, God remained true to His justice.  Sin had to be paid for, the slash of death and the fire of suffering.  

There is even more, so much more, in application for our own lives, that I won't go into right now. 

You would think that would be enough.  Case closed.  But years later, Abraham is faced with another test . . . this one in deepest sorrow.  Sarah, his beloved wife, has died.

God was the Lord of his laughter.  Would He prove true in Abraham's grief as well?  That is the subject of my next post.


God is never done with us.  Never.  We do not 'arrive' in the Christian life, but rather move from faith to faith.  All the while, growing deeper in love with Jesus.

p.s.  I'm certain my daughter's artwork was inspired by this song, which I assume had been playing on the radio.  I don't remember. 

You're the God of my days
The King of my nights
Lord of my laughter
Sovereign in sorrow
You're the Prince of my praise...

by Gateway Worship



No comments:

Post a Comment