Friday, January 25, 2013

Storm Updrafts

I'm certain there are redeeming qualities in a turkey.  After all, it is their breed that surrenders their lives each Thanksgiving.  And our founding fathers came near electing it as our national bird.


But my sights are on the eagle.

As I looked on the week last Sunday, I was overwhelmed by all that must be accomplished.  And it did not even include the dailies of laundry, meals, and school.  As the heaviness began to engulf me, the usual thought came to me.  Just get through the week, one day at a time, plow your way through it. 

For our upcoming youth retreat, I've been studying the workings of the eagle.  And God prompted my heart to shout, "No!  I will not 'just get through the week'!  This is not the life I am called to!  I will soar!"  

To receive the updrafts which take it to higher altitudes, the eagle requires the storm.  There it glides with ease in the heavens.  That is how I wanted to go through my week, not groveling on the ground like a turkey, but soaring the heights near the presence of God. 

The trials of this week did not go away.  I still had to face them, including a day of intense physical pain, I suspect the result of stress, forcing me to bed, losing precious time.  Yet, as I've spent the early mornings in the Word, God has met me there.  I've lingered, oblivious to the time and pressing responsibilities.  My heart is nearly bursting with God's fullness.  Words jump off the pages as I've caught a few of those updrafts into sweet communion with God.  And the confidence He brings to my heart is such a great comfort.  This is why I can say with such boldness, the Lord is truly my helper!  (Heb. 13:6)

The pace picks up for the weekend and I must give more of myself.  But I know God is faithful.  In these high places I lack the shade of trees planted by still waters.  The sun's heat can be intense, yet here I am shadowed by the presence of God--his wings spread over me.

Photo by Rebekah Nadel
I know you can relate to this tempo of our days, which seems more like a mad sprint than a walk.  The winter is drab and worn out, but my heart doesn't have to be.  Because "those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  (Isa. 40:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment