Friday, February 14, 2014

Prepare the Way

I scarcely thought about it being Valentine's Day until I entered the grocery store early this morning.  The flower section was swamped with men buying roses for that special someone.  And I thought about preparation.   

Arriving home, I was so encouraged to read from Numbers 13.  God told Moses, "Take it! The time is now.  Go in and possess the land."  Yet, God also told Moses to first send scouts to check out the battle plan.  Surely, God meant for them to be encouraged by the milk and honey, not deflated by giants.

As we embark on our youth retreat, I can see all God has done to get us this far.  The way has been prepared.  Now comes the fun part.  To watch as God's Spirit takes the reins and conquers.


Don't get me wrong, it is still not a walk in the park.  The battle rages intense.  But my prayer is this, "Come, Lord Jesus, meet us here this weekend." 

Isn't this beautiful?  This is what I get to see all weekend.  I never tire of looking at it!
 I am so excited for what the Lord has for us.  Even as late as yesterday morning, God came through with an ending for Saturday night's lesson, a climax of what we will be learning.  He is ever faithful, but does not always reveal these sorts of things far in advance.  Only when we need it. 

"Prepare the way for the Lord," was the message of John the Baptist, "make His paths straight." (Luke 3:4)   And it is still a good idea.  We need to prepare the way for the Holy Spirit to come and do His work. 

There is nothing so fulfilling or exciting as this divine romance between God and His people.  Though there is struggle in the journey, it does not compare to the joy set before us.  I have a song running through my head, and I think it sums up our weekend well.

Through our God we shall do valiantly,
It is He who will tread down our enemies,
We'll sing and shout His victory,
Christ is King!

For God has won the victory,
And set His people free,
His Word has slain the enemy,
The earth shall stand and see 
That through our God we shall do valiantly.

Summon Your power oh God,
Show us your strength as You have done before.  

(based on Psalm 108:13)




No comments:

Post a Comment