Tuesday, December 17, 2013

From Siberia

At noon, I was ready for this day to be done.  But there were still nine more hours of responsibility to be accomplished.  The radio, clouting joy to the world and sing silver bells, rang out mockery.  When you're having one of those 'no good very bad days', how do you cope?

Tedious assembly of Siberian dumplings was not my idea of fun, but they were required for a cultural project due this week.  Grrrr!  What was the teacher thinking?  An assignment, that demanded parental assistance, without which, would result in a poor grade.  I found myself resisting the assignment, the teacher, and the entire week of school.




The Christmas tree skirt suctioned into the vacuum cleaner could have been comical and likewise the tea knocked off the table by the rolling pin and splattered all over the carpeted kitchen floor.  But I was not in the mood for funny.

When I was two weeks overdue with my firstborn, someone told me, "This too will pass."  I'm often reminded of that little phrase and encouraged by it.  But sometimes it takes more than cute little phrases to get me through a day.  

This is where I cling to the Word of God.  Those quiet moments before the Lord can be cut short in this rushed season, but I still treasure them dearly.  God never fails to encourage my heart.

Reading through Exodus, the staff of Moses intrigues me.  I thought of shepherds, keeping watch on the hills by night.  Shepherds with their rod and staff. 

Moses threw down his staff before Pharoah and it turned into a snake.  But then God commanded Moses to grab it.  Really?  Grab an out of control, dangerous viper?   Yes, exactly.

Moses obeyed and that snake once again became the staff in his hand.

As circumstances mount, they threaten to lash out and bite.  At times I feel forced by them, trapped in a corner with no way out.  But rather than resist, God would have me run toward them, accept them . . . even embrace them.  And as I do, these same circumstances become the staff in my hand rather than the viper at my feet. 

I decided to embrace the school project.  Mom and daughter had a great time.  Why make Christmas cookies when you can make Siberian dumplings?  They were a roaring success.

Folktale set in Russia, written by Summer

Siberian Dumplings Completed
Joseph and Mary never planned to have her baby in a barn.  But I don't see Joseph stamping his feet, wondering where on earth was God's provision.  How could Christmas come without a proper house to be born in?  No, even they must accept the unacceptable, leaning hard into faith, embracing that stable as home for the night.

Why should I do any less? 



No comments:

Post a Comment