Friday, August 31, 2012

Family Matters

One of the requirements for being a dentist must be the gift of gab.  Imprisoned by a chair, my dentist's conversation with his assistant held my attention, causing three hours to pass quickly.  I'm convinced the dialogue was to distract me from discomfort. 

Yet as much as I was interested in the conversation it frustrated me.  With my mouth full of clamps, drills, cotton, and what have you, I could not contribute, only listen.  Topics ranging from the untimely death of a mom, to abortion, to the republican convention, to contraceptives, to sports, and to obsession with athletes were all discussed.  Whew!  Now that's a mouthful! 

With the above topics you can see why I was dying to say a few words here and there.  But all I could muster was a few grunts indicating whether I felt any pain and if I was doing okay.  However, my mind was thinking of all the perfect things to say if only I could talk. 

As I bemoaned my incapacity to speak I thought of the blogging world.  We are all so eager to let our voices be heard, to somehow make an impact.  But how eager are we to listen?  And perhaps this is one reason the social network is so attractive, because there we can talk all we want but we don't have to listen.  It appeals to our selfish nature . . . that what we have to say is all important . . . one sided conversations.  I've often been guilty of this . . . the gratification of speaking my mind.   

For these reasons I've been wondering about the point of blogging.  It seems that writing a post can keep me from doing the real writing God has directed me to do.  Yet, I started this blog out of obedience to God, a mountain which loomed frightening before me.  In fact I still struggle with fears whenever I click the publish button.  

The internet is certainly not lacking for gifted bloggers able to communicate direct to the heart.  It seems that others have already said what needs saying.   On top of that there is great potential for offense because with many words sin abounds.  So why blog?

I continue out of obedience, but also in the hope that somehow someone will benefit from the testimony of my life.  As each life is unique, perhaps my story resonates with some like none other can.   But in order to balance the rest of my life with blogging, I've decided to aim for a post once a week, every Friday.  Maybe you can find time to read it over coffee Saturday morning or in the wee hours of the night, but I trust it will be uplifting. 

I've decided to check my motives for each post.  I seek to encourage but also to challenge, not with a lot of fluff, but with transparent reality.  My goal is to be concise and short.  I know I'm far from that goal at present!  But thanks for following along anyway as I struggle to learn writing skills.  I will try not to preach, scold, or brag, although I know I've been guilty of all three in the past.  Most of all, I hope to make this blog worth your read. 

I would graciously ask that you please take a moment to sign in as a member.  I admit that signing up as a follower will do nothing for you, but much for me.  It lets me know you are there, but mostly builds a platform for the day when I may seek to publish.  But no publisher will take me seriously unless they see I have followers.

Thanks for sticking with me through my many ramblings.  You are a great encouragement to me!





2 comments:

  1. It's so good to pause and re-evaluate! And to set out what your hopes and plans might be. Good for you. I agree that I love the writing and ho-hum the networking ... but like you said, it's how we build a platform as a writer - building a foundation for future writing or publishing. Personally, I enjoy and appreciate how you share your heart and God's truth ... thanks for taking the time to post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought before that I should talk to all people like I talk to the dentist. :) My mouth is usually full of some tool, so I have to think about what to say before I get a chance to speak. I liked looking through the pictures you sent of Heather starting college. It is hard to be away from family.

    ReplyDelete