Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Walk

The statement seems obvious.  "This is the way, walk in it." (Isa. 30:21)  Duh!  Of course, if I know the way, I will not hesitate to go there.  But I forget about a third factor . . . the constant pull toward my own desire. 




















As long as I can remember, there has been a big hype about finding the will of God.   If only we knew, we would follow!  Oh what excruciating efforts we put into the knowing!  Yet, so often, it is not more knowledge I need, only surrender acted out in obedience.  Why do I think that having information in my head equals a grasping of the concept?  Certainly, knowledge is a starting point, but that's as far as it goes.  In order for God's Word and way to become a reality in my life, I have to live it. 

When I found out that our theme verse for Vacation Bible School was, "This is the way, walk in it", my heart skipped a beat.  Conflict of circumstances had already substantiated the fact that I could not teach one of the classes.  However, I knew that somehow I had to be there because I felt these concepts were meant, not just for the children, but for me.  I did not want to miss hearing God's voice.   And so I volunteered to be one of the photographers.  Doing so gave me a perspective I would not have gained had I taught the lessons. 

The reason this theme was so attractive to me is because it is the current story of my life.  All last year God instilled on my heart these words from Joshua 24:15, "Choose you this day whom you will serve."  The choices I make daily determine whether I know life or death, victory or defeat.  I'm not talking about oxygen or lack of it, but of true, joyful, abundant life in Christ. 

My kids thought I was insane when they woke one morning to these notes taped on my fridge and all over my kitchen cupboards.  Each note said the same thing in big bold letters, "Choose Life!"  It helped me gain control over my emotional eating.  I've since taken those reminders down off the walls, but the concept has spread beyond my physical health to deeper battles in my life.


Only yesterday I made a choice that sabotaged my day, catapulting me into a downward spiral of depression.  I know my weakness but I yielded to it anyway.  The power is not in the knowing, but in complete surrender to Jesus.  Resistance to His will is what pushed me off the path.  

All of us can display determined will power for a time.  I'm not talking about that, because there comes a point where will power fails us.  In fact, anything that comes of our own strength will ultimately let us down.   "Walk in it" can only come about through the power of Christ in me. 


I find the walking part of the phrase peculiar.  Not run, skip, or reach . . . just walk.   There is a consistent daily factor to walking that sticks to the path for the long haul.  Likewise, in my relationship with God there must be a consistent obedience for me to grasp the abundant life He offers. 


That said, I'm off to do my 'walking', embracing God's agenda for the day, rather than my own. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you brought up the point about walking-not running, skipping in God's path for us. Great reminder that we must daily be obedient in following God.

    ReplyDelete