Monday, March 30, 2015

Comfort on the Other Side

Nothing about last week was normal.  Arriving at the heart of our Colorado mountains, we awoke to a snowstorm which hijacked our visit with in-laws.  Accidents at the tunnel closed I-70, and so we turned around and went back to the condo, lugging bags back up the very stairs we had just come down.

Grateful for free accommodations, we spent the next two days playing games, reading books, watching movies, and soaking in the hot tub.  I know, it sounds cushy, a blessing in disguise, yet, it was not exactly how we had planned to spend our spring break.  We knew there were disappointed grandparents on the other side of the mountain and precious time intended to be with them was wasting away.

However, I do not believe anything happens by accident.  We can certainly make our plans, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.  One thing was needed.  Rest.  It forced us to contemplate and to simply be still.  We came without a laptop, without workout videos, and without activities for the kids.  I even forgot my camera.  

But, before leaving home, I "happened" to grab a book off the shelf titled The Great House of God by Max Lucado.  It's one that's been around awhile, but not an author I often frequent.  Yet, God used that book to give me some perspective on my own fiery trial.  

My attention was directed toward Mordecai, the supporting character in Esther's drama, who refused to grovel at the feet of a selfish, glory hound man named Haman.  It was the unpopular choice and was met with grave consequences.   And though it produced upheaval for an entire people group, (What a weight of responsibility that must have been!),  Mordecai's pursuit of righteousness was a good thing, and in the long run, the cross he bore ended in glory. 

"Our Father, who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name," the prayer starts.  (Matt. 6:9)  God has allowed a fire in my life, but I'm beginning to see the good of it, for it is burning away the chaff.  And I am a changed person, a crushed person, one who sees her need of God and who knows God as her defense.  And my soul cries out, "Do whatever it takes, Jesus, to be holy in my life.  Hallowed be Your name." 

At every turn, I see the hand of God, and although I do not always understand, I am confident that God is directing my steps.  He continues to affirm His presence and work in my life and I am blown away with wonder.  He has not left me alone.    

However, our snowed in delay to reach the other side of the mountains held even greater purpose.  For when at last we made it to the grandparent's house, we were able to attend a church service, which I believe, was meant for me to hear.  Not since the death of my sister-in-law, has Easter become so vivid, so personal, and so direct in my life.  I'm hoping to share that in my next post, but in the meantime, there is this:

"Comfort, comfort My people, says your God.  
Speak tenderly...
listen...
clear the way through the wilderness for the LORD!  
Make a straight highway through the wasteland..."  (Isa. 40:1-3) 

No comments:

Post a Comment