Friday, January 16, 2015

On The Move

I can sense it.  At every turn I find a squelching of hope, a struggle which does not let up, but goes on and on, one thing after another, pushing and shoving, seeking to gain an advantage, to defeat and destroy.  This has been my experience over the last few weeks.  From physical injuries to emotional strife, from discouragement to failure, sometimes the shadow looms large. 

Okay, so I can hardly stand to look at this, but I keep it big to illustrate my point.  Sorry. 
However, this morning as I met with the Lord, I saw Him, high and lifted up, with a view on my trouble.  The turmoil is only a stirring of the waters.  God is on the move, and whenever God is present, there I find also the forces of darkness fighting strong.  It seems He is about to do a new thing in my life, yet, I cannot place my finger on it.  Only this.  I'm listening closely for His voice.  I don't want to miss His activity nor His direction. 

Just as a child cannot be birthed without struggle and pain, so there is this wrestling that occurs before the breakthrough.  Often, in the midst of life, I do not perceive the presence of God until shortly after, when my spirit senses His touch and my heart exclaims, "Wait!  Was that God?  I think I just encountered Him!"  And my soul is hushed with a holy awe of what I just witnessed.  This happened last week, and then again this morning. 


God is on the move.  He is accomplishing His purpose not only in the broad scheme of world events, but also in the most minutest details of my own personal life.  Sometimes I forget of His power and control.  I forget that just a word from His mouth can melt mountains, the earth is His footstool, and clouds the dust of His feet.  He's got this! 


Furthermore, I am His child, "with whom He is well-pleased."  (Mk. 1:11)  God is not mad at me, nor distant, nor aloof.  That is nothing but lies.  I'm amazed at how the presence of God can be so very real, so near, and at the same time, these lies threaten to push Him away.   May "the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psa. 19:14)  The phrase is so convicting.  This is why I pray earnestly, Lord, guard my heart, for every thought comes from that place and is crucial to my well being.

It's been awhile since I've read the Psalms, and as my personal quiet time has taken me there, my heart is swept up with heavenly vision, a plane not seen from below.  In that other world, my heart has been encouraged, so much so, that there is this joy, an unexplainable energy.  And yet, my circumstances have not changed.  The work which must be expended to accomplish His purpose, the fight, and the pressure of deadlines still remains.  It continues to take all the strength of my body, an ongoing state, to truly love the Lord my God with all of me.  But the presence of the Lord, His life in me, makes all the difference to my perspective. 


One assurance brings me great comfort, that "even though I walk through the valley of the shadow...I will fear no evil", because "God prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies," and "my cup overflows." (Psa. 23:4,5-6)  In fact, my heart is so full right now I am nearly bursting!  And like footprints, goodness and mercy follow me all the days of my life.  This boggles my mind!  No matter what I'm going through, nothing can separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus! (Rom. 8:38)  Nothing.  And because God has only my good in mind, I fear no evil!  His grace is enough. 

Who is like Him?  There is no one.  None even come close.  He tells me, "Be still," little one . . .  mighty warrior, "and know that I am God."  (Psa. 46:10)


No comments:

Post a Comment