Thursday, July 3, 2014

Witness of the Stars

It's been a long time since I've really looked at the stars.  Living in town I rarely stop to notice, but camping in the wilderness, the night sky becomes prominent.  Once more I am dazzled by their witness. 

"Wake me up so that I can see them," was my secret prayer.  God heard that desire, and at nearly two in the morning, I stood outside my tent, gazing in complete wonder.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."  (Psa. 19:1) Whether I see them or not, every night they shine as testimony to His faithfulness, His control, and His sustaining power because  "Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge."  (Psa. 19:2)  Even the constellations declare His great work of salvation and interest in our lives.   As I think of our planet and its setting in the universe I think, "Who am I, that God would even consider me?"  And I am drawn to my Creator.

Yet, there is a war going on in the heavens, a fight for the lives of people.  Not only are we caught in the crossfire, but as followers of Christ we are very much participators in it.  The days, weeks, and months grow weary and sometimes I get tired of the battle. 

The first free week of the summer turned into a frustrating challenge and we ended up without reliable wheels.  We were in a desperate place, discouraged and disappointed, pressed down by the stress.  But even before we called, God was intersecting our path with another, setting His plan in motion.  We were shocked to see His swift provision and awed by His faithfulness.

It was then that I realized I was beginning to believe the lie that we had fallen off God's radar, that we were only one little family among a sea of mankind and why should He care for us?   But God is not like that.  He has a reason for everything He does and the question I should be asking instead is, "Who am I to think I know better than God who sees past, present, and future alike in one big panorama?  Should I not simply trust His viewpoint?"

Having this perspective doesn't necessarily mean I understand what He is doing or that the frustration lets up.  Half of my family underwent allergies so badly, we had to cut the camping trip short.  I know, what's the big deal.  Only that these days are precious and family dynamics are changing.  My daughter leaves for Africa next week and my son's work schedule rarely coincides with ours.  To have all my children together for an event is rare. 


But I am thankful for the time we did have together.  God knows my heart's desire, taking great delight in fulfilling that desire, even when it doesn't always happen the way I envision. 


Gazing at the stars, reminds me of my personal God.  The One who has named each star, also knows my name.  (Psa. 147:4)  He has inscribed me in the nail prints of His hands, a 'tatoo', never to be removed.  (Isa. 49:16)  And He never abandons His own. (Heb. 13:5b) 

These stars which bear witness of God, are the same stars Abraham saw . . . and David . . . and that my daughter will see half way around the world, for "there is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.  Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."  (Psa. 19:3-4)

The truth is, that God is faithful, and He has not wasted His suffering nor His life for nothing.  The interest He has invested in us who believe is far too great to drop by the wayside.  No matter what we go through, He can be trusted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment